International Travel Information and Policies

The daily lives of North Carolinians are affected more and more by events around the world.  The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill must prepare our students for life in an interconnected world and educate them to be leaders in an increasingly global society.

UNC students take advantage of opportunities for international education and research through organized study-abroad programs, more informal educational trips, and independent study and research funded in whole or in part by the University.

IGHID complies with all University travel policies and procedures to ensure safe, secure travel for everyone.

Global Travel Registry

University Travel Policy

The University relies on information from the U.S. Department of State, most particularly the travel warnings issued periodically by that agency, and information in the travel notices issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and has developed a policy governing its educational and other activities in countries for which the Department of State has issued a travel warning and countries for which the Centers for Disease Control has issued a travel notice.

Travel warnings are issued when the State Department recommends that Americans avoid a certain country. In addition to this list, the State Department issues consular information sheets for every country of the world with information on such matters as the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, any areas of instability and the location of the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in the subject country.

Emergency Communications

  • Faculty, staff and students who experience an emergency while traveling abroad on University business should contact the UNC Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 919-962-8100.
  • DPS is first in the chain of response. Students should ask DPS to contact the Dean of Students on call to find the appropriate resources for assistance. DPS will assist faculty and staff with identifying a human resources administrator or Employee Assistance Program officer who can provide support.
  • A downloadable and printable Emergency Information Card is available.
  • For emergency evacuation and other 24/7 health insurance assistance, call HTH Worldwide collect from outside the U.S. at +1 610-254-8771, toll-free within the U.S. at 800-257-4823, or email
  • In an emergency, seek appropriate medical care immediately, and then call HTH Worldwide. Insurance coverage must be bought in advance of travel (see below).


University Employee Occupational Health Clinic provides occupational health care services to all part-time, full-time, and temporary employees of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The UEOHC offers travel immunization review and appropriate protective immunization for employees planning work-related foreign travel.

Travel Health Insurance

As mandated by the University of North Carolina General Administration, all faculty, staff, and students (undergraduate, graduate and professional) traveling abroad in affiliation with the University are required to purchase international travel insurance, provided by HTH Worldwide.

The Travel and Study Abroad Insurance Program is available to students, faculty, staff and their families while traveling abroad. In the event of injury or sickness, this program facilitates and pays for their medical treatment while in the foreign country.

Students, faculty, and staff who need to purchase coverage or obtain additional information should contact Janet Hoernke in Risk Management Services at 919-962-6681 or

The University of North Carolina System has contracted with HTH Worldwide to provide comprehensive coverage at a low cost. Students may purchase coverage for non-University affiliated travel as well as long as it is in conjunction with an eligible program mentioned above. If non-affiliated travel coverage is desired by students, then the requirement is a minimum of 2 days and a maximum combined total of 30.

Personal and vacation travel coverage for faculty and staff are not eligible under this program. Please contact Janet Hoernke with questions regarding eligibility.

Faculty, staff and other UNC affiliates are required to enroll in HTH coverage when traveling internationally on University affiliated travel. The State Health Plan does not provide comprehensive coverage or as significant a value as HTH when traveling abroad.