Personal Safety and What is Research Online Training
As an increasing number of students seek international experiences and innovative ways of engaging globally, it has become crucial not only to ensure the health and safety of students traveling internationally but also to increase their awareness of research and similar activities that involve human subjects.
IGHID offers two undergraduate online training modules to provide students with important information about domestic and international research and travel.
The Personal Safety module covers travel preparation and health and safety precautions for students planning international travel. Topics include food and water safety, malaria and other infectious diseases, cultural sensitivity, street smart tips and other important measures to help ensure personal safety and security.
The What is Research Involving Human Subjects module is designed to ensure that students planning research, study abroad, community outreach or other international or domestic service-learning activities have a basic understanding of what constitutes research involving human subjects and familiarity with some of the systems set up to help guide and protect human subjects research.
You must enroll with your UNC Onyen to access the modules.
Please follow these instructions to enroll in the Personal Safety or What is Research training:
- Click “Enroll” at the bottom of this page.
- Log in to Blackboard with your Onyen and password.
- You will be taken to the self-enrollment page for the What is Research and Personal Safety courses. Click the “Submit” button.
- You should see a message stating that your enrollment has been processed successfully. Click “OK.”
- Follow the directions found in the course.
For more information contact Mamie Sackey Harris.