Gallery not found. Please check your settings.
August 8, 2011 — Earlier this summer, a large UNC delegation traveled to Rome, Italy for the 6th IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention, the world’s largest open scientific conference on HIV/AIDS.
UNC faculty and students presented a total of 52 abstracts (see below for the complete list). The most-anticipated event was the late-breaker session to present results of HPTN 052. The photo essay features many images from that session and the related press conference.
- Progress in AIDS battle
- A remarkable day in HIV prevention research – report from Rome
- UNC tapped to lead a national effort to find a cure for AIDS
- Antiretroviral treatment to prevent the sexual transmission of HIV-1: results from the HPTN 052 multinational randomized controlled trial.
M. Cohen, Y. Chen, M. McCauley, T. Gamble, R. Bollinger, Y. Bryson, D. Burns, D. Celentano, S. Chariyalertsak, F. Conradie, L. Cottle, G. de Bruyn, V. Elharrar, S. Eshelman, M. Essex, E.C.J. Filho, S. Godbole, B. Grinsztejn, J.G. Hakim, I.F. Hoffman, M. Hosseinipour, N. Kumarasamy, J. Kumwenda, J. Makhema, A. Martinez, K.H. Mayer, S. Mehendale, L.A. Mills, K.A.-H. Nielsen, J.H.d.S. Pilotto, E. Piwowar-Manning, I. Sanne, B.R. Santos, T. Taha, L. Wang, S. Safren, T. Fleming, HPTN 052 Protocol Team
- Analysis of genetic linkage of HIV from couples enrolled in the HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN) 052 trial.
J. Hughes, S. Hudelson, A. Redd, L. Wang, R. Debes, Y. Chen, S. Porcella, E. Piwowar-Manning, M. McCauley, M. Hosseinipour,, J. Kumwenda, J. Hakim, S. Chariyalertsak, G. de Bruyn, B. Grinsztejn, N. Kumarasamy, J. Makhema, K. Mayer, J. Pilotto, B. Santos, T. Quinn,, M. Cohen, S. Eshleman, HPTN 052
- Immunologic and virologic disease progression and responses to ART across geographic regions: outcomes from HPTN 052 study.
M.C. Hosseinipour,, L. Wang, M. Cohen, S. Chariyalertsak, Y.Q. Chen, V. Elharrar, S. Eshleman, J. Gallant, T. Gamble, S. Godbole, S. Govinder, B. Grinsztejn, J.G. Hakim, D. Havlir, P. Ive, K. Klingman, N. Kumarasamy, J. Kumwenda, J. Makhema, K. Mayer, M. McCauley, L. Mills, J. Pilotto, E. Piwowar-Manning, H. Ribaudo, B.R. Santos, S. Swindells, J.J. Eron, and the HPTN 052 study team
- Effects of early versus delayed initiation of antiretroviral therapy (ART) on HIV clinical outcomes: results from the HPTN 052 randomized clinical trial.
B. Grinsztejn, H. Ribaudo, M. Cohen, S. Swindells, S. Badel-Faesen, D. Burns, S. Chariyalertsak, Y.Q. Chen, G. de Bruyn, J.J. Eron, S. Eshleman, T. Fleming, J. Gallant, T. Gamble, S.V. Godbole, J.G. Hakim, M.C. Hosseinipour,, K. Klingman, N. Kumarasamy, J. Kumwenda, J. Makhema, K.H. Mayer, M. McCauley, L.A. Mills, J.H. Pilotto, E. Piwowar-Manning, B.R. Santos, L. Wang, D. Havlir, HPTN 052 Protocol Team
- Phylogenetic insight into HIV transmission networks in a Southeastern US cohort.
A.M. Dennis, S. Hué, C.B. Hurt, S. Napravnik, D. Pillay, J.J. Eron
- HIV-1 viral populations in the female genital tract can be genetically distinct from virus in the blood.
E. Dukhovlinova, J. Anderson, J. Nelson, M. Cohen, R. Swanstrom, the Center for HIV/AIDS Vaccine Immunology Consortium
- Flushing out the reservoir: novel, synthetic non-HDAC inhibitor molecules induce latent HIV expression.
N. Archin, N. Dahl, A. Lees, M. Cheema, J. Kuruc, J. Scepanski, J. Eron, M. Cohen, D. Hazuda, D. Margolis
- Oral HIV infection of humanized BLT mice: a novel model of mother-to-child HIV transmission.
A. Wahl, T. Nochi, R. Olesen, M. Swanson, J.V. Garcia
- Prevalence of antiretroviral (ARV) resistance among treatment-experienced, HIV-positive inmates of the North Carolina (NC) prison system.
P. Menezes, D. Rosen, D. Wohl, N. Kiziah, J. Sebastian, J. Eron, B. White
- Exploratory analysis in the BENCHMRK studies at Wk 192: late outcomes based on early virologic responses.
J. Eron, D. Cooper, R. Steigbigel, B. Clotet, H. Wan, J. Zhao, P. Sklar, B.-Y. Nguyen, H. Teppler, for the BENCHMRK-1 and 2 Study Groups
- Substantial multiclass transmitted drug resistance and drug-relevant polymorphisms among treatment-naïve youth: a multicenter adolescent medicine trials network for HIV/AIDS interventions (ATN) study.
A. Agwu, J. Bethel, L. Hightow-Weidman, J. Sleasman, C. Wilson, B. Rudy, B. Kapogiannis, ATN 061 Study Team
- The effect of highly active antiretroviral therapy on the survival of HIV-infected children in a resource-deprived setting: a cohort study.
A. Edmonds, M. Yotebieng, J. Lusiama, Y. Matumona, F. Kitetele, S. Napravnik, S. Cole, A. Van Rie, F. Behets
- Male attitudes toward HIV testing among men in four US cities.
C. Golin, D. Haley, P. Frew, I. Kuo, L. Soto-Torres, J. Justman, H. Waller, K. Amola, L.S. Jones, A. Amsterdam, J. Smith, K. Lancaster, J. Lucas, A. O’Leary, A. Adimora, C. Fogel, S. Hodder, on behalf of the HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN) , HIV SeroIncidence (ISIS) Team
- Identification of HIV-1 subtype B transmission networks through contact tracing and DNA sequencing.
J. Kuruc, J. Anderson, A. Barry, J. Kirchherr, S. Beagle, K. McGee, R. Ashby, J. Salazar-Gonzalez, M. Salazar, B. Keele, L.H. Ping, J. Nelson, G. Shaw, B. Hahn, C. Hicks, E. Foust, P. Leone, M. Cohen, J. Eron, and the Center for HIV/AIDS Vaccine Immunology
- Low rates of HIV-1 transmission in a cohort of discordant couples in Nairobi, Kenya.
B. Guthrie, R. Choi, R. Bosire, M. Romel, A. Liu, A. Rositch, J. Kiarie, C. Farquhar
- Prospective study of the architect HIV combo 4th generation assay to detect HIV infection in STI clinics: the START Study.
C. Gay, J. Kuruc, J. Bischof, J. Embry, J. Hatch, F. Ashton, J. Schmitz, W. Miller, P. Leone
- Starting on time: factors associated with initiation of antiretroviral treatment within two weeks of treatment eligibility in two HIV clinics in Lilongwe, Malawi.
D. Johnson, C. Feldacker, H. Tweya, S. Phiri, M. Hosseinipour
- Late HIV diagnosis: a statewide program offering free CD4 count testing and access to results in North Carolina.
C. Gay, J. Kuruc, J. Embry, R. Ashby, T. Vanhoy, J. Clymore, E. Foust, P. Leone
- Multilevel determinants of women’s HIV risk in the United States: qualitative implications for intervention development from the HIV Prevention Trial Network’s (HPTN) Women’s HIV SeroIncidence Study (ISIS).
P.M. Frew, C. del Rio, A. O’Leary, I. Kuo, J. Justman, D. Haley, W. Chege, C. Golin, A. Adimora, C. Root, H. Waller, L. Jones, K. Lancaster, J. Lucas, A. Amsterdam, S. Hodder, L. Soto-Torres, for the HIV Prevention Trials Network Women’s HIV SeroIncidence Study (ISIS) Team
- Exposure to combination antiretroviral (cARV) regimens containing protease inhibitors (PI) during pregnancy and prevalence of low birth weight/preterm delivery (LBW/PTD) among women with low pre-existing risk for LBW/PTD: a stratified analysis of 10,082 p.
K. Beckerman, J. Albano, D. Cohan, D.H. Watts, H. Tilson
- High levels of HIV shedding and delayed CD8+ T cell influx in the vaginal cavity during acute HIV infection.
R. Olesen, A. Wahl, J. Krisko, C. Gonzalez, P. Denton, J.V. Garcia
- Expression of pINKa correlates with increasing age and decreased CD4 count in patients on effective ART.
K. Janakiraman, J. Nelson, P. Menezes, Y. Liu, N. Sharpless, J.J. Eron
- TB/HIV co-infection in the setting of ART failure: the experience of an integrated TB/HIV clinic in Lilongwe, Malawi.
R.H. Gokhale, S. Phiri, M. Hosseinipour, C. Feldacker, H. Tweya, J. Mwafilaso
- Effect of cotrimoxazole prophylactic treatment on malaria, birth outcomes and CD4 cell count in HIV-infected pregnant women: results of the BAN study.
A. Dow, D. Kayira, M. Hudgens, A. Van Rie, C.C. King, S. Ellington, A. Kourtis, A. Norris Turner, S. Meshnick, Z. Kacheche, J. Kumwenda, D.J. Jamieson, C. van der Horst, C. Chasela
- Assessing the correlation between neurodevelopment, plasma viral load and CSF viral load in children before and after antiretroviral treatment.
A. Dow, M. Mallewa, E. Kafoteka, S. Fiscus, R. Heyderman, A. Van Rie
- Field evaluation of a prevention of mother-to-child transmission program in the democratic republic of Congo using DNA PCR test results- implications for increased intervention impact.
D. Thompson, A. Edmonds, J. Lusiama, Y. Matumona, M. Yotebieng, L. Feinstein, M. Tabala, F. Behets
- High HIV incidence and sexual behavior change among pregnant women in Lilongwe, Malawi: implications for the risk of HIV acquisition.
M.A. Keating, G. Hamela, W.C. Miller, I.F. Hoffman, A. Moses, M.C. Hosseinipour
- Household-based assessment of antenatal and delivery services in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo for scale-up of PMTCT.
L. Feinstein, B.L. Dimomfu, S. Duvall, B. Mupenda, J.L. Chalachala, V. Okitolonda, F. Kitenge, M. Kapinga, F. Behets
- Factors associated with failing to return for delivery among women who seek antenatal care in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo.
L. Feinstein, B.L. Dimomfu, S. Duvall, B. Mupenda, J.L. Chalachala, V. Okitolonda, F. Kitenge, M. Kapinga, F. Behets
- Uptake of family planning services, fertility desires and contraceptives choices among HIV-infected women in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo.
M. Yotebieng, F. Kitenge, Y. Matumona, D. Nku, F. Behets, SANGO Plus team
- Incidence of pregnancy among women accessing antiretroviral therapy in urban Malawi: a retrospective cohort study.
H.M. Tweya, J. Chiwoko, E. Breeze, C. Feldacker, L. Blake Haddad, A. Jahn, D. Gareta, T. Chaweza, S. Phiri
- Couple HIV counseling and testing: experience in prevention of mother to child transmission (PMTCT) program in Lilongwe, Malawi.
C. Chasela, E. Kamanga, G. Mwale, E. Jere, I. Mofolo, A. Kadzakumanja, A. Moses, S. Chimphonda, F. Martinson, I. Hoffman, C. Van der Horst, M. Hosseinipour
- Monitoring and evaluation of basic activities to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, 2010.
L. Feinstein, D. Thompson, A. Edmonds, V. Ilunga, B. Mupenda, J.L. Chalachala, B. Kawende, F. Behets
- High rates of HIV testing and care among patients suspected of TB at a primary care clinic in Johannesburg, South Africa.
K. Clouse, L. Page-Shipp, F. Phakathi, H. Dansey, J. Bassett, I. Sanne, A. van Rie
- Contraceptive eligibility, choice and acceptance of the copper intrauterine device (IUD) among HIV+ clients at an ART clinic in Lilongwe, Malawi.
L. Haddad, M. Nyirenda, C. Cwiak, H. Tweya, C. Feldacker, D. Jamieson, M. Hosseinipour, I. Hoffman, A. Bryant, G. Stuart, I. Noah, L. Mulundila, B. Samala, S. Phiri
- Pooled analysis of five randomized trials of infant nevirapine prophylaxis to prevent breast-milk HIV-1 transmission.
M. Hudgens, T. Taha, S.B. Omer, D.J. Jamieson, H. Lee, L.M. Mofenson, C. Chasela, A.P. Kourtis, N. Kumwenda, A. Ruff, A. Bedri Kelo, B. Jackson, P. Musoke, R.C. Bollinger, N. Gupte, M.C. Thigpen, A. Taylor, C. Van der Horst
- Prevalence of multi-drug resistant mycobacterium tuberculosis (MDRTB) among patients admitted to the Bwaila-Kamuzu Central Hospital (KCH) inpatient tuberculosis ward, Lilongwe, Malawi.
C.K. Vorkas, D.L. Kayira, R. Krysiak, C. Kanyemba, T. Chikaonda, N. Nguluwe, M. Kalikhoka, D. Kalaundi, D. Namarika, F. Martinson, C. van der Horst, I. Hoffman, M. Hosseinipour
- Keeping the giant asleep: recruitment of HDACs to the HIV-1 promoter.
K. Barton, N. Archin, K. Keedy, D. Margolis
- The effect of cotrimoxazole prophylaxis on adverse health outcomes in HIV-exposed, uninfected infants: results from the BAN study.
A. Dow, D. Kayira, M. Hudgens, A. Van Rie, C.C. King, S. Ellington, A. Kourtis, A. Norris Turner, S. Meshnick, J. Kumwenda, Z. Kacheche, D.J. Jamieson, C. Chasela, C. Van der Horst
- Clinical presentation, treatment, and outcomes among HIV-infected lymphoma patients in a Southeastern United States clinical cohort.
S. Gopal, K. Richards, J. Eron
- Risk factors for Kaposi’s sarcoma (KS) in Cameroon among HIV+ and HIV- patients.
K. Stolka, G. Woelk, P. Ndom, J. Newman, J.J. Hemingway-Foday, J. Smith, J. Iriondo-Perez, R. Ryder
- Factors affecting adherence to antiretroviral therapy among adult AIDS patients at Area 18 ART Clinic in Lilongwe Malawi.
V.M. Thonyiwa, A. Lakati, J. Nyagero, M. Houseinipour, B Adherence
- Quantification of CD4 responses to highly active antiretroviral therapy over five years among HIV-infected children in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo.
A. Edmonds, M. Yotebieng, J. Lusiama, Y. Matumona, F. Kitetele, D. Nku, S. Napravnik, S. Cole, A. Van Rie, F. Behets
- Perceived challenges to provider-initiated testing and counseling (PITC) during antenatal care (ANC) reported by ANC beneficiaries in Kinshasa, DRC.
S. Duvall, B. Lapika Dimomfu, B. Mupenda, J.L. Chalachala, V. Okitolonda, F. Kitenge, M. Kapinga, L. Feinstein, F. Behets
- Obstacles to PMTCT integration reported by directors and proprietors of small, private, non-profit and religious health care facilities in Kinshasa, DRC.
S. Duvall, B. Lapika Dimomfu, B. Mupenda, J.L. Chalachala, V. Okitolonda, M. Kapinga, F. Kitenge, L. Feinstein, F. Behets
- Evaluating the impact of ANC facility being closer to the ART clinic for PMTCT clients eligible for ART initiation.
E.K. Jere, I. Mofolo, E. Kamanga, A. Kadzakumanja, M. Hosseinipour, F. Martinson, M. Kalulu, C. Chasela, IMPACT
- Condom use among U.S. women at high risk for HIV infection: implications for HIV prevention.
I. Kuo, A. O’Leary, J. Justman, P. Frew, C. Golin, D. Haley, A. Amsterdam, K. Lancaster, H. Waller, L. Jones, J. Lucas, L. Soto-Torres, A. Adimora, S. Hodder, HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN) Women’s HIV SeroIncidence Study (ISIS) Team
- Characteristics of HIV+ women of color in medical care settings with unmet core self-determination needs.
E.B. Quinlivan, L.C. Messer, K. Roytburd, H. Parnell
- Self-determination core needs are present when women of color (WOC) make HIV testing and care decisions.
E.B. Quinlivan, L.C. Messer, K. Roytburd, N. de Sousa, N. Bowditch, H. Parnell
- Women’s experiences of HIV testing and counseling in the labourward: a case of Bwaila Hospital.
G. Chisala Hamela, M. Hosseinipour, C. Kabondo, I. Mofolo, A. Kadzakumanja, T. Kumwenda, L. Mindiera
- Successful integration of family planning into HIV care in Lilongwe, Malawi.
L. Haddad, M. Nyirenda, H. Tweya, C. Feldacker, D. Jamieson, M. Hosseinipour, I. Hoffman, C. Cwiak, A. Bryant, G. Stuart, F. Martinson, C. Mhango, S. Hartsell, I. Noah, L. Mlundila, B. Samala, S. Phiri
- Improving HIV prevention, care, and treatment in severely resource-deprived settings through real-time data use: development and implementation of a user-friendly data management system.
A. Edmonds, D. Thompson, D. Kleckner, L. Feinstein, J.L. Chalachala, M. Yotebieng, F. Behets
Media contact: Lisa Chensvold, (919) 843-5719, firstname.lastname@example.org